So, if you are friends with me on Facebook – you see my daily antics with my family. But, this Saturday, I posted a video of me and my kiddos lip-syncing to the Black Eyed Peas in my car. To be honest, that is a normal Saturday for us. I am a working mom, so Saturday is the day that we get errands done. So – I turn errands into quality family time – as the best I can. But – this video – got a huge response. People were sharing the video that I didn’t know. And I was reading comments like, “That’s a cool mom”, “They are making boring fun”… , etc. And then I got messages to my inbox. And frankly, they were praising me for being happy. And here’s the thing – I am.
I was asked today, by a co-worker – “How are you always so upbeat and happy? I mean, after all you have been through. I haven’t been through anything like that – and I don’t know how you always so upbeat. Always.” So I thought about it – and here’s my answer. First of all, I am not always upbeat. I have a job that can be demanding. I get stressed. My kids try my patience at times. I have problems. I have struggles. There are feelings deep down inside me that no one knows about. Worries. Stresses. But, I acknowledge them everyday. And choose to let it go. I am happy.
I have been through a lot. I found my husband after he died. I worried about how I would support my kids. I didn’t know how I could afford to feed them at times. And I had a huge network of people around me, who would help with anything, but I was too proud to ask/accept help. My canned answer was “We are fine, but if I need anything, I will let you know.” There were points – where people loved me enough to force their help on me. And that was the biggest gift ever.
But now, I don’t have those worries anymore. It’s everyday life stresses. But – everyday, I am happy. I “honor every moment”. My friend, Jacqueline – coined that phrase for me. Whether it’s watching the moon glow over a lake, laughing with your kid struggling with shopping bags in the grocery store parking lot, and lip syncing like a 16 year old while driving down the road with your kids. I will embrace every moment that I am given. Because I realize that is all we have right now. Those moments. So hold on to each one, and laugh in each one. And when you get overwhelmed – realize that next week it might not be an issue. But if it is, work through it – and go on to the next one.
So here’s a list of what I am happy about today.
1. I went to the gym on time. #winning
2. I made it through another work day. Although at times, that was a little shaky. LOL!
3. When the garage door opens, I have 2 faces staring at me straight on – one in the rear view mirror – and everyone is excited to see each other.
4. I have an iPod. Music makes me happy. I sing loud in the car – it isn’t always lip syncing.
5. I have a family that loves me. My brother in law called me the other day, for no reason at all, just to say “Hi.” and check in. Curtiss – you rock. That made my day.
6. I know what it’s like to love. And be loved.
7. I love my tattoos. Anytime I am sad, I look at them and smile. They all mean something to me.
8. I have a Mac. That should make anyone happy. 🙂
Have a great nite…. and go to bed happy. XOXO