So, here I am, three weeks into being…. wait for it…. VEGAN. And vegan by diet alone. I know, I know. First, let me explain why I made this choice. And key word – is CHOICE. I decided, for my personal health, to make a personal decision, to try and go vegan for 21 days. Here we are. And today, I am continuing it. Why? There are so many reasons why. I want to let you know, although I don’t judge anyone who does do it for moral reason because they have a passion for animals – this was not my reason at all. I am saying that – just to be honest. I tried something – and I am loving it.
I don’t expect anyone to do it along with me, it is a personal decision of my own. And I say that – to say this.
Why in the world are people so hateful? In the past three weeks – I have had more people degrade me, laugh at me, question my intelligence, and question my health – all based upon the fact because it has been noticed that I eat differently than I used to. Here are a few of the little sly remarks I have heard, and here are the remarks in my head, which I wasn’t brave enough to say out loud.
1. “Wow. I would never do that.” (ok. cool.)
2. “How are you gonna get enough protein? Vegans get sick all the time. You are gonna get sick.” (Nope. I have sense. I know what to eat. And where was your concern when I was eating fast food – and junk? Oh wait. There was none.)
3. “So, are you going to start smoking weed and not showering now?” (Obviously. Since I am no longer eating meat – I also don’t bathe and start smoking weed. Of course. I mean really people. I honestly can’t believe what will come out of some people’s mouth.)
4. “So, did you ever eat meat? Like a really good steak?” (Just because someone is vegan – doesn’t mean that they never liked the taste of meat, cheese, or dairy. It just means we made a choice. No different than someone who works out – doesn’t mean they didn’t used to be lazy. They just made a choice.)
5. “I feel sorry for you – because you can’t eat.” (Well, sweetie – I went to a plant based diet. Not a feeding tube. And, What I am eating – is delicious.)
And trust – there are tons more. Here is what I am saying… This is the first time I am “announcing” that I am vegan. And I know there is the stereotypical thoughts that people have when they think of someone saying vegan. But guess what – I am not that at all. And I would dare bet – 95% of vegans aren’t. We just think about the loud ones. And I am vegan for now – I don’t know if I will always be one. But, I feel great – better than I have in years – and I don’t plan on quitting. That’s just me. And I don’t care what anyone else eats. You wanna know why? Because it’s their body – not mine. Only you know what is best for you – not me. And here is the funny thing – I expected this to be soooo hard for me. I really did. I have failed at many different diets in my 39 years on this planet. And my goal was 21 days. Maybe I am older, maybe more committed to my health now. Who knows.
But here is the funny thing. I was talking to an amazing friend of mine yesterday – and they said to me, “I really think you like being vegan. Just don’t try to convert me.” And they laughed. And I laughed. And here is why I laughed. They have been behind me and supportive this whole way. And they aren’t a vegan. Don’t wanna be. But they care about me. They are happy for me. And they support something that they can see is making a positive change in my life. And isn’t that the way we all should be? Stand beside people we care about. That’s all I am asking. And hey – there is enough of people being mean nowadays… Let’s just have a little support and friendship.